Monday, February 11, 2008

That's a hot caucus: America and its ongoing bout with political incompetency

I realize I'm re-entering dangerous territory by talking politics again, but I guess I have some things to get off my chest. Some caucus things.

I visited the Washington state precinct caucuses on Saturday. For those ambitious folks out there, I wrote an article for the school paper that is allegedly on-point. So if you don't know what a caucus is, well, please refrain from reproducing offspring in the next decade and then read my piece

Anyway, the particular caucus I visited was an accurate reflection of how the rest of the Great Apple State voted Saturday: Obama mashed. It was also a pretty accurate reflection of how American voters operate: very poorly. By and large, everyone at the caucus was really, really confused. 

I know this is old news, but I want to (again) propose that the current political process is designed — whether intentionally or not — to disorientate and, ultimately, exclude. For my last blog I wrote that. For this blog, I lived it.

Before I begin, I have to give credit to the voters my age. We are young and dumb, and we come to these sorts of events overly caffeinated. If selecting a presidential candidate was not at stake — or something — we would mainly just be looking for a member of the opposite to get on. That's what we do. That's what bars are for. 

I'm just sayin'.

 Anyway, a big, old, disabled woman named "Janice" was really excited so many young-dumbies were at the caucus Saturday and remarked that she had not seen a turn-out this high since, like, the Ulysses S. Grant caucus or something.

The point is some of us were there, and that's good. But it's what we did when we were there that wasn't good. And I'm here to say we looked stupid because the process is thoroughly and, perhaps eternally, demented.

Young people, who primarily comprise the "Gonzaga" precinct, began streaming in the Jepson doors at about 12:45 p.m. Chaos immediately ensued. 

Do I have to sign in? OK, I do — but I don't need ID to prove who I am? Do I have to select a candidate on this piece of paper here? OK, turns out I do. Where is my precinct? What is a precinct? Is that like the early stages of being "succinct?" Man, I wish Thomas Hammer Coffee was open right now...

Some poor young girl thought the caucus was "an informational session about the presidential candidates or whatever," which is like saying going to strip club is educational. You learn about it, though it's not really the expressed purpose.

By the time everyone pulled their act together, Janice strolled in aboard her wheelchair and reported several voters were representing the wrong precinct and several more had neglected to endorse a candidate on their voting sheet. And it wasn't even like these people appeared to be imbred knuckledraggers. There was just a bunch of really, really confused Americans. And when Americans get confused, they get bored. And then it's over.

The rest of the proceedings played out predictably enough. Obnoxious political-zealotry abounded. Obama/Hillary rhetoric was spewed. Tin-faced acne-mongers promoted themselves as delegates. And most people my age looked on, as they texted their friends about the bar tab that night for the Gonzaga basketball game.

You know, the stuff that matters.


3 comments:

Nathan Sugg said...

I had the same chaotic experience here by UW. It was insane. First we had no precinct leader. Second we had two precincts in the same room. Someone had to run to the Ave to make copy sheets of the sign-in sheets because we were not given enough. This abhorrent system needs legislation before 2012.

First, the state should drop the primary altogether in favor of the more democratic caucus. At least this has a shadow of a hope of informing the undereducated on making a responsible choice and also provides the opportunity for them to change their vote.

Second, we need to have more volunteers to coordinate these caucuses. There should have been a larger push for caucus leaders in order to prevent the chaos that was my personal experience. Perhaps a sole representative from the state party at each caucus center to ensure that the rules are being followed and that the votes are tallied correctly.

Third, we need to fix the timing of these primaries. While they worked out well for WA this year. We need to either go to a national primary day where all states go on one day. Or, presuming people that don't live in NY or CA like to actually see candidates, we could move to the graduated system where the ten smallest states go, then the next ten a week later and so on.

Seems logical, right? Pretty unchaotic? Time to start talking to Patty, Maria, and Oly.

Nick said...

Mr. Bross,
It is truly disappointing to see you tear apart an inspiring day in American politics. You ranted and raved about American’s uncaring, unassuming political nature in your previous blog, yet here we are talking about COLLEGE STUDENTS and the WASHINGTON STATE CAUCUS, who would’ve thought that those two ideas would be together in once sentence anytime soon. While your article is allegedly an examination of the caucus process, you spend a great deal of time (and lets be honest- it is your main point) outlining the shortcomings of college aged voters and their failures as educated participants. In your blog, you berate your fellow students as “young and dumb” and only caring about the stuff that matters like “looking for a member of the opposite sex to get on” and “the bar tab that night after the Gonzaga basketball game,” but were they not their on their own accord on a Saturday! Also, I feel as though their intelligence had little to do with their confusion rather it could have been that A) this is the first presidential election they have been eligible for or B) the Washington State Caucus hasn’t mattered since who knows when so where would they have gotten the practice of how to caucus (not sure that can be used as a verb). Yet, you laugh in the face of these confused and disoriented college students with such smugness as you post your blog! The reality remains that these students (an age demographic that chooses not to vote at a higher rate than just about any other age demographic aside from the senility challenged +85 age group) cared enough to get out and vote, in a caucus no less, so why not celebrate them? But no, you would rather criticize them (and the system).
While you admonish Americans everywhere for their political incompetence (and yes I know you blame the media too), why not take the time to commemorate the fact that people are beginning to care, maybe not everyone, everywhere, but we are making progress. I am sure that this will not change your outlook on what you witness but maybe for a second you will think those “young-dumbies” gave you a job that day and those “young-dumbies” are helping to decide our future. So, I say we give them a little credit.

My point being this: How about writing about the excitement of this election, and the increasing contributions that the youth of America are making towards their future, rather than the attacking a group of well-intentioned voters? Then again, where’s the fun in that article…


Your move.

br0ss bl0g said...

"nick,"
(If that is your real name.)

Thanks for the comment, it was articulate and engaging.

I would encourage you to re-read my post, though. There are a few passages I think you may have overlooked, including:

"Before I begin, I HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TO THE VOTERS MY AGE. We are young and dumb, and we come to these sorts of events overly caffeinated. If selecting a presidential candidate was not at stake — or something — we would mainly just be looking for a member of the opposite to get on. That's what we do. That's what bars are for."

...Now I understand this is a backhanded compliment, but I do establish my appreciation. What I follow up my insults with, though, is truly the thesis of this blog:

"The point is some of us were there, and that's good. But it's what we did when we were there that wasn't good. AND I'M HERE TO SAY WE LOOKED STUPID BECAUSE THE PROCESS IS THOROUGHLY AND, PERHAPS ETERNALLY, DEMENTED."

See, the point is we "young-dumbies" embarrass ourselves because of the process. I, myself, had my own humiliating moments--and they almost seemed inevitable. We were byproducts of a faulty process.

It's the system I am attempting to deride by illustrating the shortcomings of the voters. Perhaps it's tawtry, and I'll accept the criticism, but I think it still communicates my message effectively.

True, I could have celebrated us for coming out in droves. We did. And I'm proud of this age group. In parts, I tried to congratulate us. But as young people we must do more--we must not only vote, but we have to think about the way we vote, the way others vote and how we can improve.

That's what I want. And that's what I'm trying to do.